Getting National Minimum Wage rates right
You don’t want to see your name on the Government’s name and shame list after not paying your employees the right wage. You also risk a hefty fine if you’re not in line with NMW laws.
From 1st April 2019, the following rates will apply:
- Workers aged 25 and over: £8.21 per hour
- Workers aged 21-24: £7.70 per hour
- Workers aged 18-20: £6.15 per hour
- Workers over compulsory school age, but not yet 18: £4.35 per hour
- Apprentice rate: £3.90 per hour
A hike in pension contributions
The new tax year starting in April also brings new changes to auto-enrolment pension contributions.
You’ll need to contribute 3% (up from 2%) of your employee’s pre-tax salary to their pension pot, and they’ll need to contribute 5% (up from 3%) themselves.